Family Immigration & Waivers

The Firm has a dedicated practice to help families and individuals with their delicate immigration matters, which includes helping U.S. citizens or permanent residents petition for spouses, parents, children, siblings, fiancees and other close family members who are living in the United States or abroad. The Firm also provides advice and consultations to undocumented individuals in regard to their legal options, which may include seeking benefits under a special immigration program, proceeding with family sponsorship, conducting an FOIA request or provide representation during removal proceedings. Our attorneys also provide advice regarding legal issues relating to criminal convictions, health-related inadmissibility, affidavit of support and other issues that may arise in family-based immigration petitions. Deason attorneys can assist in the preparation of immigration applications and representation during interviews at USCIS offices or U.S. consulates.

Many of the family and deportation cases handled by the firm inevitably require the applicant to file a waiver to excuse a crime, illegal presence or other problem that may block approval of the immigration benefit. There are numerous waiver programs that may be available to immigrant clientele who are seeking to legalize or obtain their permanent residency in the United States. Our attorneys provide advice regarding waiver eligibility, preparation of waiver petition packages, and related services that are aimed at seeking to obtain government forgiveness for a prior criminal conviction, the unlawful presence or overstays, misrepresentation and other issues that may arise and require the approval of a waiver. A representative sample of waiver services include:

  • I-601A provisional waivers to forgive unlawful presence for certain immigrant visa applicants who are spouses, children and parents of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents. The provisional waiver process allows individuals, who only need a waiver of inadmissibility for unlawful presence, to apply for a waiver in the United States before they depart for their immigrant visa interviews at a U.S. Consulate abroad. Such applicants must demonstrate extreme hardship to a qualifying U.S. citizen or permanent resident relative if the green card is not granted by USCIS.
  • Certain J-1 exchange visitors are subject to a two-year home-country physical presence requirement after completing training programs in the United States. Deason Law can assist with preparation of a J-1 waiver of the two-year home-country physical presence requirement based on exceptional hardship to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse or child.
  • We have successfully obtained waivers to assist foreign doctors who have completed medical residency programs to remain in the United States through one of the numerous Conrad J-1 waiver programs. These programs waive the two-year home-country requirement in exchange for the doctor’s agreement to provide services in rural cities and other areas where there are insufficient medical services available.
  • Temporary Section 212(d)(3) waivers for foreign nationals seeking to enter the United States temporarily.

We also help clients to filing waivers to help long-term residents of the U.S. get legal status, guide clients through TPS, U Visas, and other special immigration programs.

Deason also provides legal services for lawful permanent residents who wish to become U.S. citizens. Naturalization is the process by which a foreign citizen or national becomes a U.S. citizen after fulfilling the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

We are here to help.

We know you might have questions about your legal matter and our services. Please contact us and we will get in touch with you as soon as possible.